No template is required to import your products. You can import new products or update existing ones. Generally, the import process for files takes less than 30 seconds, even with (the maximum of) 15,000 products.
- How does importing work?
- How does the Excel file need to be structured?
- Errors when importing
- Export & import
- Frequently asked questions
How does importing work?
1. The Import function for products can be found under "Products" > “Products" > "Three-point menu” (top right) > "Import products".
2. Select the file from your computer and upload it. Then click Continue.
Note: The maximum file size is 10MB. Allowed file formats are CSV, XLS, XLSX
Potential error messages:
3. Select the data to be imported and assign it to a field in bexio. Unassigned fields are ignored and will not be imported.
4. Select the import type & confirm by clicking on “Start import".
How does the Excel file need to be structured?
The first line of the file has to have a heading/title so that the column assignment works. Example:
Which fields are mandatory?
Basically there is only one mandatory field: "Product name". However, we recommend that you also use a "Product code".
When importing already existing products, the following must be observed:
If products are imported that already exist in your bexio, they will be matched according to the "Product name" or "Product code".
Which product information can be imported?
All the following fields can be imported:
Supplier - Contact person - Product code - Group - Product name - Product description - Purchase price - Sales price - Currency - Unit - Revenue account - Expense account - VAT sales tax - VAT input tax - Product code supplier - Product name supplier - Product description supplier - Comments - Inventory - Minimum inventory - Inventory location - Storage location - Width (mm) - Height (mm) - Weight (g) - Volume (ml)
Fields that need special attention:
- Supplier: First, enter your suppliers under "Contacts".
- Contact person: Use an email address created as a user.
- Group: First, enter groups & subgroups under "Settings” > “All settings" > "Master data" > "Products: Groups" in the Excel file, using a column for the groups. If there is a subgroup, set it, otherwise set the group. In bexio, when selecting the subgroup the main group is automatically set.
- Purchase & sales price: these can be imported with a maximum of 6 decimal places.
- Currency: First, enter currencies under "Settings" > "All settings" > "Functions & Modules" > "Currencies".
- Unit: First, create product units under "Settings" > "All settings" > "Master data" > "Product units".
- Income & expense account: Check whether the selected income and expense accounts have been created and activated under "Settings" > "All settings" > "Accounting" > "Chart of accounts financial accounting". In Excel, only set the account number, and do not enter a description (e.g., 4200).
- VAT, sales tax and input tax: Check whether the VAT rates have been created in bexio under "Settings" > "All settings" > "Accounting" > "Tax rates VAT". In Excel, only enter the VAT code, and do not enter a description (e.g., UN77)
- Inventory: If the product is to be activated "with warehouse", add some inventory here. If the product is carried without a warehouse, leave the field empty. If no value is entered, the warehouse will not be activated.
- Inventory location: First, enter the inventory locations under "Settings” > "All settings" > "Master data" > "Products: Inventory locations".
- Storage location: First, enter the storage locations under "Settings” > "All settings" > "Master data" > "Products: Storage locations".
Note: For CSV files, we currently only support “;” (a semicolon) as a separator. If you use other separators, please convert the CSV file to XLS or XLSX.
The following fields cannot be imported:
- Product type: The product type cannot be "directly" imported. If a value is entered for inventory (in the import file), the product type is automatically designated as "goods". However, if no value is entered, no product type is stored and this information remains empty in bexio. If you opt to select "Service", this can initially be set in the relevant product.
- Tiered price: Sliding-scale prices cannot be imported. These must be entered directly in the bexio user interface.
Errors when importing
If errors occur during product import, we will provide you with a correction file. You can directly download the file when an error message appears.
The first column of this Excel file indicates the reason why this product could not be imported. Correct the error(s) and upload the correction file to re-import the failed products.
Important! The "original file" remains unchanged. Therefore, it can be beneficial to correct the errors in the source file for future imports as well.
Export & Import
Please consider the following points if you wish to export your product list, make adjustments and then import it again:
- Column B: Product type > The product type cannot be imported. If a value is entered for inventory (in Excel), the product type is automatically designated as "goods". However, if no value is entered, no product type is stored and this information remains empty in bexio. If you opt to select "Service", this can initially be set in the relevant product.
- Column E/F: Product description (HTML) > Only import the "Product description HTML" column so that you re-import all formatting (column F can be ignored.)
- Column I/J: Main & Subgroup > When importing (assigning a "Group") select the "Subgroup" since the main group is automatically selected by way of the assigned subgroup.
- Column AA: Inventory > Inventory is exported as "0" if "Product with warehouse" No was selected. If the warehouse needs to remain deactivated, the "0" must be removed so that the field is empty!
- Column AC: Contact person > Use the user's email address instead of the user name. Or, reverse the first and last name of the user (correct format is first name/last name).
- Column AH: Tiered price > Sliding-scale prices cannot be imported. These must be entered directly in the bexio user interface.
Frequently asked questions
Error message: File contains columns with no title
Solution: Delete the empty column (column B in the example).
Error message: File contains columns with the same title
Solution: Delete the duplicate column or change the column’s title (column B in the example).
The import field is displayed completely empty and cannot be imported
If the column title in Excel cannot be uniquely assigned to a field in bexio, the following message appears: "Do not import". However, you can still select a field and have this column imported correctly.
If the field is completely empty and can’t be imported despite selecting a field, this is related to formatting & special characters in the title columns.
Solution: remove any special characters from the column title (e.g. Produc.t% name) to enable you to import the column.