You can adapt the default chart of accounts already created in bexio to meet your needs. If you created your account after June 24, 2015, the right chart of accounts will have been imported automatically to correspond to the legal form you indicated.
Where can I find the account groups and the chart of accounts?
The account groups and chart of accounts can be found under "Settings - All settings - Master data".
General information about the account groups
The account groups are based on the income statement and balance sheet. They are broken down into sub-groups and primary groups. Account groups not marked by a small padlock are system account groups. These cannot be deleted and are generated automatically by bexio.
Managing account groups
Account groups can be modified or new account groups can be created under "Settings - All settings - Master data - Chart of account groups for financial accounting". If you want to modify an account group, left click the group. Use the "+ New account group" button to create your own account group.
1) Here you can assign the number for the account group. This number is based on the primary groups and also indicates the accounts it contains. The number of the "Liquid funds" group, for instance, is 100. That means it belongs to the primary group "Assets" (1) and working capital (10). It also indicates that this group contains the "Cash" account (1000) and the banking accounts (1020 and up).
2) Here you can assign the group a name like "Fixed assets" or "Movables".
3) Specify the group here that will be positioned one level higher in the hierarchy. Liquid funds, for instance, belong to the group "Working capital".
Managing the chart of accounts
The cornerstone of an accounting system is the chart of accounts. bexio already has a ready-made chart of accounts (SME chart of accounts) that you can adapt to suit your needs.
The chart of accounts can be found under "Settings - All settings - Master data - Chart of accounts for financial accounting". To edit an existing account, left click the account. Create new accounts using the "+New account" button.
1) Enter the account no. of the new account here. Account numbers have four digits each and indicate where an account stands in the balance sheet or income statement. For instance, the "Cash" account is assigned the number 1000 by default. This number indicates that it is an asset account (1), is in working capital (10), belongs to liquid funds (100) and ranks highest, i.e. has the highest level of liquidity (1000).
2) The name of the account should make it possible to see what it is used for, such as "Vehicle expense", "Postal expenses" or "Income from real estate holdings".
3) Indicate here which type of account you want to open. In the balance sheet you can choose between an asset (+/-) or liability (-/+) account; in the income statement it is an expense (+/-) or income (-/+) account.
4) Choose the account group for your new account here. The account group provides the first digits of the account number (see the example under 1).
5) You can define the VAT rate for the account here. You can choose any of the rates defined. To find out how to manage your tax rates, please refer to the article "Managing VAT".
6) You can choose if the account no. is active or not. If it's inactive it won't be visible for any bookings.