If you change your legal form, then there are some adjustments that you will need to make in your bexio account. We recommend that you make these changes together with a specialist, such as your trustee, for example.
First, close the year with the old legal form. You can learn about how to close the year in bexio in this article: Closing the financial year. If you change the legal form during the course of the year, adjust the financial years under "Settings" - "All Settings" - "Accounting" - "Change Financial Year" and create two financial statements with shortened financial years. For example:
- Sole proprietorship until September 30, 2018 -> Adjust the period to January 01, 2018 - September 30, 2018
- GmbH starting on October 01, 2018 -> Adjust the period to October 01, 2018 - December 31, 2018
Finally, implement the following adjustments:
- Change your company name under "Settings" - "Company Profile" to the new legal form.
- If you have saved your own stationery in PDF format with a logo background, update it by uploading a new PDF under "Settings" - "Document Template".
- Adjust your company name for bexio invoices under "Settings" - "Packages/Add-ons/Users" - "Package, Options, and Payment Method" in the billing address area.
- Create the accounts for the new legal form as required in "Settings" - "All Settings" - "Accounting" - "Chart of Accounts for Financial Accounts".
- Important: Create new accounts for the desired legal form. Make sure not to overwrite any existing accounts.
- Do not adjust the system accounts (which are marked with a lock symbol), because they are used for automated postings and are independent of the legal form.
- bexio automatically transfers the balance sheet balances at the end of the year to the new year. After the transfer, you must repost the balances from old accounts by entering manual postings in the new accounts for the legal form that you changed to by going to "Accounting" - "Manual Posting" where necessary.
- Now go back to the Chart of Accounts ("Settings" - "All Settings" - "Accounting" - "Customize Chart of Accounts") and set the accounts that are no longer in use to inactive, so that they can no longer be used for postings.
bexio recommends that you perform this procedure. Of course, it is up to you whether you want to carry out the described procedure.